Friday, May 4, 2007

White Bean Dip

No photo on this one as of yet because, honestly, how pretty can white bean dip really look? I made this as I have been having a craving for white bean spread since I ate at Abbraccio months ago. Theirs was thicker and more of a true spread than what I ended up with. I think I might tinker with mine in the future (perhaps by draining the beans and only using half of the liquid) to try to achieve that consistency. I think I'd also cut down on the rosemary. While I like the flavor, at times it seemed a bit overpowering for me. This recipe can easily be doubled, which is what I did. Also, you can just mash the beans, but if you have a food processor or in my case a stick blender, it works much better.

White Bean Dip

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary (Do not used dried as the flavor will be far too strong.)
1 14 oz. can of cannellini beans (aka white kidney beans)
1 tsp lemon juice
salt
pepper (White pepper is nice so you don't have black flecks in the dip, but black pepper will work.)

1- In a medium skillet with sides (if you are going to use a stick blender, I suggest using a wide bottomed saucepan), heat the olive oil and then add the garlic and rosemary.
2- Saute the garlic and rosemary briefly then add the beans, bean liquid and lemon juice.
3- Let the mixture cook down and mash the beans and add salt and pepper to taste. If you are going to use a stick blender, mash the beans slightly and then use the blender.
4- Once the desired consistency is reached, remove from heat and let the mixture cool. It can be served warm or cold, but not hot.

No comments: