Friday, December 18, 2009

Chewy Gingersnaps

I've been baking up a storm recently. So now I'm going to get as many of the recipes posted as I can over the next few days. Some of them have photos and some don't. Mostly this is due to my camera's batteries running out, but also, I've come to accept that I am just not a very good food photographer. I may not be a very good photographer in general, but I'll leave that question for another day.

I'm not big on gingersnaps, though I love the smell. I was making holiday gift bags for my mom to give out with gift certificates to a coffeehouse and gingersnaps seemed both thematically and seasonally appropriate. Unfortunately my cookbooks and most of my recipes are in transit from my move, so I had to go out and find a new gingersnap recipe. This one is different from my regular one in that the cookies end up much bigger, flatter and chewier than my normal gingersnaps. I suppose these should really be called ginger-chews, but that just sounds gross. Overall, these are a nice alternative to the typical gingersnap.

Chewy Gingersnaps

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup dark molasses (come on, what's the point of mild molasses anyway?)
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar (you can use your favorite blend here... or eyeball it till it's the right color like I did)

1- Preheat oven to 350.
2- Sift together flour, ground ginger, ground cloves, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg and molasses. Add 1/3 of flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture and stir/mix until a soft dough forms (it will still be quite sticky).
4- Roll into 1" diameter balls and roll in cinnamon sugar (I used a cookie scoop to put the right amount of dough into the cinnamon sugar then once coated formed it into a ball. Less messy on your hands this way.).
5- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: