Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mozzarella alla Caprese on a Stick


Sorry for the blurry image. The photo was taken back before I had a digital camera and only had the one on my phone. I made this for the first Family Dinner I went to back in Champaign when the theme was food on a stick. Since then, I've made it a number of other times and have they always get a great response. The fact that they're super easy makes them even better.

Mozzarella alla Caprese on a Stick

8 grape or cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
4 (1/2 -ounce) balls fresh mozzarella (buffalo or regular)
4 large basil leaves
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (white or regular- using white limits discoloration, but I go with regular since it is what I already own)
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

1- Make slits in each of the tomatoes (I usually do four around the sides from top to bottom). Marinate in the olive oil for 20 minutes.
2- Place the mozzarella balls in the balsamic vinegar and let set for 20 minutes. Remove the mozzarella and wrap in the basil leaves.
3- To assemble: Place one tomato on a 4-inch wood skewer, then the basil-wrapped mozzarella, then another tomato. Drizzle the remaining balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the entire kebab and season to taste with ground sea salt and cracked black pepper.

This makes four skewers. Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc.

1 comment:

Miss E said...

These were so damned good.