Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cherry-Cream Cheese Braid


This is all packed up and ready to go to work tomorrow for the taste test, but I figured I'd go ahead and post the photos anyway. I baked it for a bit too long so it got more brown than I wanted. Also, my rolling pin has gone MIA apparently so I had to roll out and shape the dough by hand into the proper form which made for less than pretty braiding. Ah well, let's hope the taste makes up for the lack of prettiness.

1 lb of white bread dough (You can make your own or buy frozen bread dough.)
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened (You can use 1/3-less fat if you want.)
2 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dried sweet cherries
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp milk (I used skim as I do with almost everything.)
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

1- Preheat oven to 375.
2- Roll dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
3- Combine cream cheese, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla in a bowl and stir well. Spoon cheese mixture lengthwise down the center third of the dough. Sprinkle cherries over cheese mixture and drizzle with honey.
4- Cut 12 (1 inch wide) strips along edges of dough from edge of filling to edge of dough. Fold strips, alternating sides, at an angle across filling. Brush top of loaf with 1 Tbsp milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden.
5- Combine powdered sugar, 2 1/2 tsp milk and 1/4 tsp vanilla, stirring well. Drizzle over warm braid. Let cool until glaze is dry.

No comments: